Systemic is a podcast that looks at people working to reform policing from inside and outside the system. Produced in the wake of George Floyd's death and the ensuing protests, the audio documentary follows Black Americans working in Colorado, Minneapolis and around the country to create change at an extraordinary time. Meet activists, civil rights attorneys, lawmakers and several Black officers working to change policing from within. Systemic is hosted and reported by Colorado Public Radio's Jo Erickson.
- This spring, the nation held its breath as Derek Chauvin, the officer charged with murdering George Floyd, went on trial. Was the officer a single bad apple, or a symptom of a broken system? Nekima Levy-Armstrong is a former law professor who gave up her career to become a full-time activist. Since...Play35m 3s
- On this episode, we follow an officer in leadership who’s working to reform policing from the top down. As director of public safety in the small community of Franklin Township, New Jersey, she’s taking a hard look at the diversity of her department, and addressing how officers interact with the com...Play36m 35s
- Against the backdrop of George Floyd’s death and nationwide Black Lives Matter protests in 2020, Colorado legislators won praise for swiftly passing an ambitious law meant to punish future abuses by police officers. But part of the genesis for that law began in 2019 amidst a different set of police...Play37m 14s
- Meet two Black police officers — a young officer in the Minneapolis suburbs and a veteran sheriff's deputy in Colorado Springs — working to protect their communities. In the wake of George Floyd's death and the nationwide protests that followed, these two women offer a glimpse of what it's like to...Play33m 14s
- Since the death of George Floyd in 2020, America has been searching its soul over questions of racial injustice. Many people are looking for solutions to change a police culture that disproportionately harms people of color. They’re asking hard questions about what should be done to reform law enfor...Play3m 3s